Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Epilogue

Maybe it's that this is the time of the year that so many people are beginning their own study abroad adventures, or maybe it's that my parents keep bugging me about posting a closing to my Italian exploration, but I figured I'd update everyone on how I've adjusted to being back home.

I've been home for about four months now. I spent my summer in my brand new house in Fort Worth with the lovely Heather Shoop, working with her at the TCU Art Adventures summer camp as a councilor, and, well, catching up on a semesters worth of life stories and events. I got to remember what it's like to take care of other people's children (sometimes boring, sometimes fun, and sometimes a little taste of hell) and eat a chipotle burrito once a week (oh, how I'd missed it!). I've attended a wedding, used my ID to buy drinks (a surprisingly satisfying experience), and spent countless lazy days with Clayton and little Whiskey (the dog, but sometimes the drink too). I had a few good weekends with the family at the lake (which has turned into more of a sand valley as of late) and watched Renner become a very satisfied and happy dog. I also started school last week (which I had been very much looking forward to); my last first week of school! It should be a fun and relaxing year for sure.

I have adjusted very well to being back home, better than some of my peers. I wouldn't say that I miss Italy, or that I would live there for another four months. But I can say this: living overseas, so far away from home and out of my comfort zone taught me to appreciate things more than I ever have. I've learned to appreciate the dumb things, like free tap water, decent drivers, wider sidewalks, heating and air conditioning, Texas weather, and Mexican food (obviously). But I have also learned to appreciate things I thought I appreciated before; my people (family, friends, boyfriend), being in a familiar environment, my education (the fact that all of my professors speak distinguishable English), having a job (so I can have my OWN money), and just being close to the things and people that I love the most.

So, if you were to ask me for advice as to whether or not you should live in a foreign country for a semester, I would have to say yes, if only so that you might learn to love the little (and big) things in life.

P.S. - I would just like to thank everyone who actually read my blog and kept up with me while I was gone! Your praise and commentary has been forwarded to me through my mom and I appreciate it so much! Now that I have two cousins and several friends updating blogs while they're overseas this year, I understand where you all are coming from; it will be interesting to see how many times I find myself reading blogs instead of my required readings for school.

If anything else exciting happens in my life, I'll be sure to post (since I'll be graduating in May, I suppose such events would include getting a job or at least finding out what I'm doing when I graduate). Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment