Sunday, April 3, 2011

Some catchy, classic phrase about Rome or Romans or something

This weekend I spent three days in Rome with the big TCU group (well, big as in there were 18 of us, but more TCU people together than usual). Let me just say, I got more history crammed into those three days than ever before, and that’s saying something since I’m studying both history and art history.

We had an awesome guide from Australia. She was brilliant. I think I learned more from her than from Rick Steves.

Our first day (Friday), we left Florence around 9 (took the fast train - classy, I know). We stopped at a lovely little restaurant for lunch after arriving at the hotel. Oh, and then gelato of course, but this time dipped in chocolate. Like an Italian Dairy Queen (without blizzards, aw I miss blizzards - who wants to buy me one when I get home?!). We explored the open market, full of all sorts of fresh fruit and beautiful flowers, and where I bought a bunch of mixed dried fruit as if I were in a candy store. Then we met up with Freya (our guide) who showed us several awesome churches, one with a Carvaggio painting, one with a saint’s body and a statue by Michelangelo, and others which I can’t really remember.

But the most amazing thing was walking into the Pantheon. I’d learned about it in class (obviously making it ten times cooler than it could have been). BTW, the Pantheon is the giant dome with the hole in the top. The one no one could imitate until Brunelleschi’s dome (the one that I can see from my room in Florence).



Our last stop was Trevi Fountain (the one where you make wishes and throw coins in - which, fun fact, are collected and used to help the poor in Rome). We got some classic touristy “throwing-the-coin-behind-you-and-acting-giddy” pictures and then headed back to the hotel for some rest.


Dinner. Was. The. Greatest. Meal. Of. My. Life.

Turns out there’s a Hard Rock Cafe in Rome. I literally almost teared up at the anticipation of so much delicious food. I had a California burger. With real American beef. Guacamole. And, the kicker, RANCH DRESSING. Oh, and this of course followed a lovely precursor of buffalo wings. With a side of ranch. Let me just say, I haven’t felt this bloated in quite a long time. But it was so worth it.

Our second day was spent primarily at the Vatican. We got up early and walked over to the Vatican museum (on the way I tripped and fell, the sequel to my epic wipe out on the hotel steps the day before). We got to see several beautiful artworks, including the School of Athens by Raphael, the real Laocoon (which I’d thought I’d seen in the Uffizi, those tricky Italians), the Last Judgement, and of course, the Sistine Chapel ceiling by Michelangelo. I was blown away. Plus, we had our nifty tour guide who knew so much, making everything even more epic.





We ended the tour in St. Peter’s Basilica, where he is actually buried, and saw Michelangelo’s Pieta, another mind blower (fair warning, my mind blew wide open on multiple occasions this weekend).


We took the metro (woo so trendy) to the Spanish steps, picked up some pizza and sat on those overrated steps to eat. We headed to a couple churches. One had a crypt, entirely decorated with thousands of bones of Franciscan monks. It was, different. I feel evil if I call it creepy or weird since it’s supposed to be holy. We weren’t allowed to take any pictures, so I’ve found one online to give you an idea of what it was like.


As an avid Dan Brown reader (as much as I hate to admit it - I know none of its true and its all far fetched and every book of his is exactly the same, don’t worry, I’m self aware), I’d been looking forward to seeing St. Theresa in Ecstasy by Bernini. I can also say though that I have learned about it in real school too, not just fictional tales. Thus, we made our way across town to the little church in which it stands. I must admit, it was very beautiful.


Sight seeing from 9 A.M to 4 P.M. wipes you out. So Beth, Veronica and I watched The Fighter on my computer that night and headed to bed early. Such a good movie. Christian Bale impressed me even more than he did as Batman, which is saying something if you know me at all.

Day three was painful. I decided to wear new shoes. You’d think after living for 21 years, you’d know not to wear new shoes when you’re walking generally long distances. Nope. Apparently I don’t know that. However, we did get to see the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Capitoline Hill (on which is one of the oldest bronze statues - Marcus Auralius).



We had delicious salads for lunch at Insalata Ricca (mine had all sorts of fish on it) and then made our way back to the train station for our train to Florence.

Thanks for reading. Sorry it’s long again. I’m going to Prague next weekend, so get prepped for that! Unfortunately I have two research papers due over the next couple weeks, so I’ll be busy on those. Isn’t school in Florence supposed to be easy? I think I signed up for all the wrong classes for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment